Date of Publication: 1 July 2016
Sector: Sustainable Development, Community Development, Ecotourism
Location: Ambondrolava, SW Madagascar
Duration: 12 months, extendable : As soon as possible, no later than 1st August 2016
Founded in 2008, Honko Mangrove Conservation & Education is a Belgian NGO that works in southwest Madagascar. Honko’s goal is to work in partnership with local communities to promote mangrove conservation and improve community resilience and quality of life through the promotion of alternative livelihoods.
A range of projects help Honko pursue its mission including local capacity building, fish farming, apiculture, ecotourism, women’s association activities and environmental education. Furthermore, Honko’s year-round volunteer program attracts international and national volunteers staying for up to 3 months assisting with mangrove ecology research and community development projects.
To learn more about Honko’s projects, find us online at http://www.honko.org, and on Facebook (facebook.com/honkomangrove).
Program Manager Position
Honko is looking for a Program Manager to coordinate Honko’s multiple ongoing projects, supervise Honko’s 8 local staff, assist with volunteer management, and on occasion supervise visiting local and international students’ research. The position is based at Honko’s centre in the village of Ambondrolava, 12km north of the regional capital Toliara in SW Madagascar.
• Supervision and daily management of Honko’s projects and staff.
• Work with the NGO Director (on the distance) to plan and manage projects and ensure that all implemented activities fall within the framework of Honko’s mission.
• Supervise volunteers and students (local and international) conducting research at Honko, including creation of viable and cohesive short-term studies to study abroad students
• Maintain liaison with Honko’s partners and supervise activities carried out in collaboration with such partners, including but not limited to WWF, Blue Ventures, ReefDoctor, Bel Avenir, University of Tulear, marine research institute IH.SM, etc.
• Co-ordinate with and assist Honko’s off-site volunteer staff on fundraising and social media activities
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, marine biology, forestry, natural heritage and coastal landscapes management, environmental studies, agronomy, development cooperation, or related subject.
• Project and financial management experience in community development, sustainable development, or conservation.
• Experience in fund raising and financial reporting.
• Experience working in a multi-cultural or international setting, especially in the field of conservation or in a developing country.
• Proficiency in English and French.
• At least one year experience in a similar position.
• Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Publisher (Required)
• Adobe Photoshop, InDesign (Desired)
• GIS, ArcGIS, MapSource, BaseCamp (Desired)
• Master’s degree in one of the subjects listed above (or related).
• Research experience with mangrove/wetland ecosystems, bird diversity, crab behaviour/diversity, and/or fisheries.
• Willingness to learn Malagasy language basics.
• Adaptability and diplomacy for living and working in a rural area.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French.
• Ability to work independently and think on your feet.
12 months. With the possibility of extension.
Salary and Benefits
• All food and accommodation costs covered (includes local transportation; excludes flights, visas, insurance) and additional stipend of 150 euro/month.
• 600 euro flight allowance upon completion of 12 month contract.
• Accommodation at the edge of the mangroves.
• A challenging position focusing on actual themes, support from a small dedicated local team, and an enriching experience in a fascinating environment.
• Opportunity to gain valuable project management experience in an international setting. • Chances to collaborate and network with other conservation NGOs and professionals in SW region.
Send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 July 2016 in English or French, with the subject: Program Manager Position.
We will only contact shortlisted candidates